Get ready to learn how to cook homemade delightful empanadas! This recipe is really versatile because you can experiment with a bunch of different ingredients to fill the empanada napolitana!
For the empanadas:
- 3 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 egg, whisked
- ¾ cup of butter, cold and cubed
- ½ cup of water, cold
- A pinch of salt
For the filling:
- 3 tomatoes
- 3 eggs, boiled
- 600 oz of ham
- In a large bowl, sift in the all purpose flour and salt.
- Add in the cubes of cold butter. It is important that the butter is cold to get a good dough.
- Using a fork, start to mash and incorporate the butter into the flour. Slightly fold the ingredients in while making sure the mixture doesn’t have big chunks of butter anymore. If you have a food processor, use it to complete this step.
- Add the whisked egg and cold water, stir to combine. You should end with a soft and slightly sticky dough.
- Sprinkle flour on a flat surface and knead the dough for about 5 minutes. The more you knead the dough, the better the result.
- After kneaded, allow dough to chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour
- Roll the chilled dough on a floured surface to about 2-4 mm thick.
- Cut dough into circles using a cookie cutter or the rim of a glass. The size is up to you, I like medium size ones but the small empanadas are great too.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees while assembling the empanadas.
- Chop each tomato and each egg into fours
- Grab two circles of dough
- Take one circle of dough and add desired amount of ham, tomato, boiled egg. Close the empanada with the second circle of dough, gently press the edges with your fingertips to close it.
- Repeat steps 1-3 with all the dough. This recipe yields about 12 medium size empanadas.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden.
Hey girl! Are you following us on Instagram?