Party food is really fun to cook because there are a thousand options to choose from: light, creamy, sweet, hot, cheesy… If you like that last option, keep reading.
Homemade tequeños are the perfect dish to take to any party, combine them with dips and use your imagination to choose the filling! Traditional ones are fried and filled with cheese, but you can also bake them and use different fillings like cheese and ham, cheese and bacon, cheese and spinach, or anything else your tummy desires.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 18oz of cheese (mozzarella, queso duro…)
- 1 tbsp of salt
- ¼ cup of butter, cold
- ½ cup of water, warm
- Oil, for fry
- ½ cup of sour cream
- ¼ cup of mayo
- 1 tsp. of onion powder
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Pinch of black pepper
- In a food processor, add flour, salt and cold butter; pulse 8 – 10 times until combined but you will still see some chunks of butter, which is perfectly fine. If you do not have a food processor, add the ingredients in a large bowl and use a fork to press the butter into the flour until well combined.
- Add the egg and warm water, this time whisk the mixture until dough forms.
- Chill your dough for 30 minutes before assembling the Tequeños.
- Roll dough flat on a previously floured surface. Dough should be around 1/8 inches thick; then cut dough into rectangular strips ¾ inch wide.
- Cut your cheese into rectangles around 2 x 2 x 6 cm.
- Place cheese slices on the dough strips. Then gently roll the dough tightly around the cheese, and press the ends to seal the dough. Be sure to cover all the cheese with the dough to avoid a very messy Tequeño.
- Fry them over high heat until Tequeños are golden.
Ranch Dip Recipe:
- Combine all your ingredients and whisk until combined.
Made homemade tequeños? Tag us on Instagram!
Click the recipe tag to check out more of our kitchen favorites